Do mosquitos love you as much as they love me?
It’s a little ridiculous how much they love me…I mean…why are they so obsessed with me? 😉
Citronella oil is a natural deterrent for mosquitos and other pesky bugs so a candle is the perfect solution for a backyard bbq or in my case a trip to the lake!
Here’s how to make your own citronella candles to keep those little blood suckers away!
What you need:
• 4 mason jars (I chose blue for the 4th of July)
• 4 lbs natural soy wax shavings (aprox. 1 lb. per candle which you can get at your local hardware store or craft supply)
• candle wicks and tabs (also found at your local hardware store or craft supply)
• citronella oil and other essential oil if you’d like (I chose sage)
• 2 cups boiling water with double boiler or one saucepan on high
• a spoon!
• and most likely an oven mitt
Boil water with double boiler.
Add wax shavings to your double boiler or alternately add wax shavings to a pot on high.
Once the wax has completely melted add citronella (about 30 drops) and any other fragrance you chose, now stir!
Take off burner and let cool
Now add to mason jar holding wick in place.
Let cool adjusting the wick as need be until completely solid.
Cut wick to a half inch above the solidified wax.
Light and enjoy!